Labels

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Stargate


Just one word, read it over and over, and I thought, I imagined. It says, ‘Star’-‘Gates’, does it mean gates to other stars? If yes, how come? Also where do we land on a star and not vaporize? Or land in another star system?

                I came across this word, I do not remember how. I think there was a reference in a newspaper I saw. Sounded sci-fi, so I came home and searched about it; came across a couple of articles on Wikipedia itself. Checked on IMDB, found it’s a bunch of TV shows and two movies. Thought wow! Two movies is ok, but two series of TV shows, on exactly the same topic. I mean we don’t see that happening, you see, ‘How I met your mother’ like ‘Friends’, only cooler-;), but not the exact same thing. I was intrigued. I will mention the first couple of links on wiki which I actually read completely. They are very long, but if you are a sci-fi buff, I’m sure you would really enjoy the time spent in reading them. Try searching for stargates, ancients, precognition and the likewise. A lot of the parts sound really plausible and those which have been much pursued or thought about. Here are some links which I found really worth reading:


Some of you may wonder if reading direct articles about this ‘show’ would spoil the actual watch, don’t worry, I mention the SPOILER ALERT; so by me, reading these articles would just deepen your understanding of all the episodes. Reading about it would actually help you appreciate and imagine things in the episodes in a much better fashion.

                Stargate SG-1, as I have been following is a TV series about a ‘Stargate’ which was discovered by some people (archeologists), and which turns out be a device which can create ‘temporary wormholes in the fabric of the universe between several destinations (each of which have a stargate)’.

                Anyone who has studied wormholes or the science of the wormholes, would know how they are postulated to be formed and how they work. The series concentrates on the similar principles.

                There might be a lot of things which one might argue, as wrong, but I would say, there are many more which do sound very plausible. Also, this series gives a very profound or detailed understanding of the civilizations which existed on the earth thousands of years ago. There is a lot of drama in the show too, but that’s ok, I mean every sci-fi show needs to include drama in it to catch the general crowd. They cannot just focus on the sci-fi audience which is too small. So watch the show, see the drama, but concentrate on the science part of the show. SPOILER ALERT: Samantha Carter is a good source. The spoiler is only for the name, I wouldn’t say more. J

                Without revealing much in detail, I would suggest every sci-fi buff reader of this blog to watch a couple of episodes of this series, keeping in mind that it was developed almost 10 years ago, and try to understand the plausibility and probability of something like this actually happening. When I start to watch a movie series or shows, I do so in a chronological manner. I mean, if the first movie was made in 1970 and the 3rd sequel just came out, I would watch the 1st, then the 2nd and then finally the 3rd. I also suggest that you do the same. So if you are planning to give this a shot, please watch ‘ Stargate’, made in 1994, and then start watching SG-1 season 1 episode 1 onwards. I hope you like it as I have. 

Senebti...

4 comments:

  1. I would so much like to watch this one. But it has been hard to catch up with "Fringe", which by the way, I loved when I followed it till April, 2011, and also got addicted to it badly, I dunno how to follow this Stargate. Anyways, what's the hurry. :D

    Well, someday I will. :)

    Great writing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by. I suggest you get a higher download limit data plan ;). I am at the 5th season of Stargate SG-1. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always my pleasure, else I won't, would I? ;) :P

    Yes, I should get that, :) Pata nahin kab aayega woh din! :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome as they lead to betterment, but please keep them presentable, as other people read 'em too