Labels

Saturday, March 26, 2011

FRINGE


As promised a little while ago, he is the post of a new TV series that I am presently watching.

Fringe is a show I came across on IMDB just browsing for a new TV series to watch as I had just finished up with Dexter and house. There must have been a description but I did not bother to look at it. I saw the name fringe and decided to give it a try.

Fringe by definition means, ‘one of the light or dark bands produced during the interference of light waves’ and ‘a social group holding marginal or extreme views’. Both these definitions attracted me to the show. I decided to download the pilot and a few more episodes; although it is the pilot which decides whether the show will run on air or not, but I never make my decision based on the pilot. I don’t think it’s fair to give the producers just one chance, so I always download the next couple of episodes as well. From the first episode itself, I was sure that I am going to love this show. I don’t remember whether I have mentioned it in my ‘about me’ section of the blog, but I am a huge fan of sci-fi stuff. I believe that it is this sci-fi stuff which is sci-fi right now, but is going to be reality in the near future. So as this show turned out to be sci-fi, I knew that I am going to love this. After that it has been episode after episode. There were days when I watched fringe fro morning to bedtime, doing almost nothing else. Completely glued to my computer.

So lemme just tell you what fringe is all about. SPOILER ALERT: Fringe as I have said is a sci-fi show, there is this scientist who believes and experiments in domains where no scientists do. He works on parallel universes (which I completely believe in- especially after the ‘string theory’ by Brian Greene). He also works on several other fields mainly neurology and mind related. He has showed ways on how we can tap into the human mind to extract information, how we can modify the brain waves to accomplish un-imaginable tasks. I would not go into the details, because that would spoil the show and also I do not want to over-sell the show. Anybody who likes sci-fi and has a thing for futuristic science, would love the show. There are several things in the show which seem completely justified and plausible. However, I admit some of the things seem to be too farfetched even for an open-minded person like myself. But of course, you never know what may actually happen in reality in a couple of decades. The things that I consider far-fetched may be real life then or maybe in a century. That is the reason I used the term far-fetched and not impossible.

They have shown several things that make complete sense and would make you ponder on whether this may have already been done in some secretive labs and agencies. You would see that the reasoning that the scientist gives for the new possibilities that he explores to be quite interesting, plausible and satisfactory to yourself. However, you would also see some of the complex things that he talks about and does on the show are not explained at all. I do not blame him for that; he has given understandable reasoning’s for a lot of things that we consider just fiction and about why they will work. Some of the things he should be allowed to just cite without details, after all it comes in the fiction genre. For example, he explains several ways that we may use brain waves and alter them to get different stuff to work out, but he does not explain in detail, how he was able to use a looking glass into the parallel universe, or how he was able to travel between universes. So I don’t blame him for that, people are still trying to prove parallel universes exist; at least he travelled between them. J

This show has inspired in me a lot of ideas. You see I think out of the way, I believe in radical theories and try to explore their possibilities in our time. I am a researcher in the head and the heart. So I have found this show to be just awesome as the scientist is working in my genre. Some of your may not like it, but for all the sci-fi buffs or even intellectuals, I would suggest that you definitely give it a try.

Xaire.

6 comments:

  1. Well, I'm loving it! I'm obsessed with it. Thank you for telling me about this else I would have never found it (probably).

    This Fringe science is more than just science fiction. Especially in this TV series, they give reasonings which makes you think of new possibilities. And the parallel Universes (multiverse)? It's in theory and they are showing us all of it in this. Feels like we are in the future. Great work.

    Nice post BTW.. I am sure it will definitely inspire all those who haven't watched it to watch it, and all the Fringe fans to nothing but agree :)

    May be someday we both will run a lab together? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked it. Remember the time when you were hesitant to download the second episode?

    And thank you for the compliment about the post.

    And about the lab, I would so love that. You have no idea how much I wish i could have such a lab and explore such Fringe-like possibilities, it would be great working with you. One condition, I would be the mad scientist.. hehe..;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mast show hai yaar...one of my favourites....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anand, I am pleasantly surprised to see that you have taken a liking for this show. Do you have any similar ones that you could suggest i watch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey bro.....u can watch "LOST"...it is my best tv series up till now.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seen it bro, and sorry to say, did not like it...:/

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome as they lead to betterment, but please keep them presentable, as other people read 'em too